710 S Cushman Ave
Tacoma WA 98405-3625
206 291 4594
Acataphasia Grey would like to say that she was raised by wolves, but in reality she was raised under a rock. Face-down. Growing up in Australia, where for some time her best friend was, in fact, a tree, she was the only person in her class to get the gestation period of humans wrong by three months. After failing to be killed by a startling array of animals (and one plant), she moved back to the US, where she moved up in the world, as evidenced by her new high-school best friend, a 2,000-pound boar named Maynard. Eventually she realized that you really can quit your day job and make art if you are willing to mostly live in other peoples basements and are good with plants.
Her first love and enduring art theme is animals: from the Mutant Stuffed Animal Of The Month Club founded by Neil Gaiman in 2002 to her dry taxidermy work, she simply adores them and doesnt stop adoring them just because they have died. Her friends know to text her with roadkill locations, ask before throwing out a perfectly good rat or mouse, and often bring her their pets when the latter die. She considers herself blessed.
that could be used to spice up an article
- can draw with her feet
- was raised in Australia
- has an AA (magna cum laude) from Lower Columbia Community College
- has a BFA from University of Washington (1993) specializing in large-scale public art
- has killed opossums with a candelabra (Colonel Mustard, in the Living Room, with the Candlestick)
- does not rise before 11am and requires massive espresso kick-start
- is the founder of her own international society
- has an Amazing Neosporin Story
- first met Neil Gaiman while naked
- has used a blue-ring octopus for bait
- had a horse-decomposition project for the Museum of Natural History of Berlin in 2005
- has painted one of the only two solar-flare observation towers in the world
- once saponified a cat by accident
- was Wizards of the Coasts Bird Maiden at conventions
- has eaten part of a Commodore-64 computer
- once had a piece of art stolen from a restaurant within minutes of placing it there
- had a job processing fish in Alaska
- does have acataphasia
- enjoys target shooting
- spends most of her spare time reading
- has more dead cats than live cats
Richard Garfield: This is the funniest thing Ive ever seen.
Spaceworks Tacoma: an air of twisted opulence Grey glides like a changeling between the self-created worlds and time periods she inhabits.
Alec Clayton, The Weekly Volcano (Tacoma): Acataphasia Grey may be the strangest and most fascinating artist in Tacoma.
By the way, while thats a lovely compliment, I wouldnt say Im the most fascinating artist in Tacoma but Ill take strangest gladly.
some random drunk guy in New Orleans on New Years Eve 20002001: Oh my god, these are REAL!guys, guys, these are real!
- The End-of-the-World Ball (21 December 2012) in the Gothic Ballroom at the Tacoma Landmark
- donated deep-sea dragon to Cakewalk for Spaceworks Tacoma, September 2012
- BKB Space, Tacoma, May 2012
- The Light Installation (multimedia), Tacoma, February 2012
- Spaceworks installation Tea for Short Expectations, Tacoma, MarchMay 2011
- Kiln Mistress (volunteer) at Tacoma Art Place 20112012
- solo show at the Vogue, Seattle, 1990s
- Lower Columbia Community College Alumni Art Show, Longview, 1990s
- RustyConshowed in art gallery
- NorWesConshowed in gallery, plus performance art (not including the cheeseball incident)
- OryConshowed in gallery
- DreamConshowed in gallery
- World Horror Conpanelist, showed in gallery, plus unintended performance art
- WorldConperformance art
- Dragon Conperformance art
- San Diego Comic-Conperformance art while wounded
NOTE: Photos are shown at half size; click for larger view. For print-quality copies, please email Mark Ellis Walker.
No Bones About It: Tacoma Rogue Taxidermist Getting National Attention
The News Tribune (Tacoma)
5 March 2013
FRONT PAGE PHOTO!
Rogue taxidermist from Tacoma to appear on reality show
5 March 2013
Also appears as Tacomas Rogue Taxidermist Gets Moment in Spotlight at KOMOs main site
Artist Acataphasia Grey to be Immortalized on television
The Weekly Volcano (Tacoma)
20 February 2013
A Tainted Tea
29 March 2011
A Tea Party Radical
5 March 2011